Monday, June 27, 2011

Book Review - Fury by Elizabeth Miles

Publish Date: August 30, 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 330
ISBN: 978-1-4424-2224-7
Series: Fury
Source: ARC from Simon & Schuster

Goodreads Synopsis:
Sometimes sorry isn't enough.... 
It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems... 
Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend. 
On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed. 
In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay. 
Em and Chase have been chosen.



My Review:
As it seems I start off a lot of my book reviews talking about the cover of the book, it's only fitting that we start there for Fury too! The cover is beautiful! I may be a little biased (red hair myself) but who wouldn't love the cover with a girl with amazing flowing, long red hair?!
The main idea of Fury is that two people, Chase and Emily (Em), living their own different lives in the same town are chosen by 3 Furies to pay the price of something they have done. We meet Chase and Em along with some other important characters, such as Gabby, Zach, Ty, Drea and my personal favourite, JD. For the most part they are your typical teenage characters - popular, the jocks, trying to fit in, etc. Right away, Chase and Em are not likable characters, but I think that's the point. They have done something horrid, and need to pay, so Miles doesn't make us like them right away. But I really do love what she did with JD's character. He's the friend who is sometimes embarrassing to be seen with (wacky hair, strange clothes) but you love to spend time with, and he's alright with that. To me, JD had the most lasting impression, and every time he appeared I couldn't help but smile!
 I was expecting a little more mythology and paranormal aspects to Fury, it seemed to be lacking that in the long run of things. But overall the story is pretty original and well written though it took about 100 pages or so for me to get into it. But after that, I was really in! Lauren Kate wrote "Achingly gorgeous. Fury seduced me." (quote taken from cover of ARC of Fury) I completely understand and agree with that statement! Fury called to me all hours of the day and night and I needed to read it.
Though it is a bit slower starting out, Fury is an eerie and haunting read. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series because I still have so many questions I need an answer to.

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird