Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Book Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Publish Date: October 31st, 2008
Publisher: Scholastic Inc
ISBN: 978-0-439-02348-1
Pages: 374
Series: The Hunger Games, #1
Source: Gift

Goodreads Synopsis:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


My Review:
This is one of those books that you know you will read over and over and never get sick of it. The story is so fast-paced and well written that I flew through it in a few sittings. Ecspecially once the actual games begin, the book got so intense that I was holding my breath while reading.

From the first page, Katniss really pulled me in as a character. Her love for her younger sister, Primrose is so evident in everything that she does. Katniss takes care of her family and friends who mean so much to her. And when she volunteers to take Prim's place in the 74th Annual Hunger Games, it brought tears to my eyes to see her love go that far. Throughout the book, Katniss is such a strong heroine and I really liked her character.
Gale Hawthorne is one of my favourite characters in The Hunger Games. His friendship with Katniss is like no other. I loved reading about the two of them out hunting and sitting together talking and when Gake mentioned about the two of them running away, I was like "Go Katniss, this boy is the one to be with, just take off with him!" because I would. I like everything about Gale. He is kind, supportive, strong and brave. And together, Gale and Katniss could go a long way. I'm so glad that it wasn't Gale that became the tribute. I really had a lot of sympathy for Gale as the story went on. His feelings toward Katniss became so evident and he had to deal with her being hunted in the arena, and deal with the little change of events between Katniss and Peeta.
You can't help but fall for Peeta too. He has such innocence to him that made me feel sorry for him. He really doesn't seem like the tough, fighting, survival of the fittest type but he has no choice but to be thrown into the arena and try his hardest to win. I really liked Haymitch as well, he brought so much into the story and added some comic relief as well. Rue was another of my favourite characters. She was a sweet girl and really helped Katniss see the whole picture of what the Capitol was doing.

Collins is able to write a story and draw the readers in as if we are there for the horrible reaping, it's as if we are in the arena trying to survive. It's really amazing, her writing. She will make you feel one with the characters, you will feel their pain, physically and emotionally. Collins raw and intense scenes will leave you needing more, it's a page turner for sure. If you haven't read The Hunger Games yet, I highly suggest that you do. I can honestly say that I haven't run into anyone who hasn't enjoyed this book yet, it's that good.

3 comments:

Carole said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Audrey said...

Great review!

Krystal said...

Thanks Audrey!



blogger template by lovebird