Monday, June 4, 2012

Book Reviewl: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins **SPOILERS**

Publisher: Scholastic Inc
Publish Date: August 24, 2010
ISBN: 978-0-439-02351-1
Pages: 390
Series: The Hunger Games, #3
Source: Bought

Goodreads Synopsis:
My name is Katniss Everdeen. Why am I not dead? I should be dead.
Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.
It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plains--except Katniss.
The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay--no matter what the personal cost.


My Review:
**Please be aware, this is not a spoiler free review, I couldn't write it without the spoilers, Sorry.** PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE IF YOU HAVNE'T READ MOCKINGJAY YET (or book 1 or 2)
Thank You

So much as happened since book 1, Katniss had so much on her plate and in book 3 she has so much more. Her emotions are getting the best of her and it's too much for her to deal with.
What really bothered me about Mockingjay was that is felt rushed. It seemed like Collins just wanted to get it over and done with, and couldn't come up with an ending that worked for the book. The endng was terrible, and not just because it wasn't what I thought it should have been, but it was just written quickly, and contradicted so much of what the first 2 meant. In my opinion, Katniss and Peeta didn't end up together for the right reasons. I think that Gale and her could have (and should have) ended up together. From the first book, Gale was the guy I was rooting for.Their friendship was so strong and I thought it should have bloomed into so much more. Peeta tried to kill Katniss over and over when he was rescued. Who's to say that he is completely better and wont turn on her once again? To my understanding of the book, Katniss only ended up with Peeta is because he was there, and it was simple to write that into the story. I didn't feel the love between them like before.
The real Katniss would have never let Gale leave like she did. On the other hand, Gale could be considered one of the minds behind the bombs that killed Prim. Oh that's right...the whole reason behind these books, the fact that Katniss went to the Games in the first place, seems like a bit of a waste now that her little sister was killed. And not just killed really, killed and then never really thought of after that it seemed. I seriously would have thought that if the author was going to kill off Prim, it would be a bigger deal to Katniss. Apparently not.
The whole ending just seemed too inconsistent with the rest. Primrose doesn't go to the games because she meant so much to Katniss, and Katniss would do anything for her sister - she dies. Katniss doesn't want to kill people because that's not what she stands for - she kills Coin just like that.
I've had a very hard time writing this book review because of my mixed feelings toward the book. My biggest disappointment was the lack of character depth. These characters that we grew to love or hate just became names in Mockingjay. There was nothing to them, they fell flat and it's really hard to enjoy the book when you know the potential of them. I was disappointed, that's really the best emotion to descirbe what I felt once I put the book down. Will I read it again or recommed it? Probably. Do I wish Collins would have spent more time thinking about the series as a whole? Absolutely.

2 comments:

Kandice said...

Interesting review Krystal. I haven't read any of the books so I figured it would be okay to read it (since I probably never will either). Great POV! Thanks!

Lynda said...

It's always great to hear or read someone's point of view about a book. I don't read a lot so hearing what others are reading and what they think of the book is good. Your reviews are always interesting to read. Sorry the book wasn't what you had thought or didn't follow what the other 2 did, that definately would make it harder to get into and enjoy.



blogger template by lovebird