Monday, October 6, 2014

Book Review: Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick

Publish Date: October 7th, 2014
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
ISBN: 978-1-4711-1815-9
Pages: 392
Series: None

Source: From publisher for honest review

Goodreads Synopsis:

Britt Phieffer has never been that adventurous, but that's about to change. Wanting to impress her ex-boyfriend, Britt convinces best friend, Korbie, to take a trip with her and go trekking through the Grand Teton Mountains in Wyoming. But when a freak storm leaves the girls stranded they seek shelter in a cabin, and find two knights in shining armour, Shaun and Mason, who are also hiding out.
But all is not as it seems, and Britt quickly discovers that the guys are there for reasons other than hiking…dangerous reasons that mean they need to get off the mountain, fast. In exchange for her life, Britt is forced to guide them down, and as they set out on a harrowing journey through the cold and snow, Britt realises the only way to get out of this alive is to pretend she is on their side. 
But playing nice is hard, especially when Britt is unsure whether Mason, gorgeous and sexy, is the enemy or an ally. And as she begins to lose track of who is in control it is only a matter of time before things turn deadly…


My Review:

**May have some slight spoilers.**

Alright, so I know there is a lot of hype for this book that comes out tomorrow. The cover, the synopsis and the author - New York Times Bestseller Becca Fitzpatrick is what is making Black Ice as talked about as it is. I'll admit, for me it was the cover that drew me in. I haven't read any of Becca Fitzpatricks books. I own Hush, Hush and Crescendo but haven't actually read them though I am a little more likely to read them now sooner then before. Fitzpatrick is a great writer. The detail in her work is amazing. There was a clear and vivid picture from start to end with Black Ice. And seriously, the mountains and snow covered forest are the perfect picture to envision
The story had me unsure at times. There would be some really good parts where I was hooked and couldn't put the book down. Then other times I thought the story was a little too far-fetched. When the hostage, Britt develops feelings for her captor and actually thinks she "falling in love"? I thought, "Oh come on! Really? This is ridiculous!" But then I would see her struggling with her emotions and I could feel Mason's sincerity therefore I could understand it a a bit more. It was difficult at times not to just give up with the book to be honest.
The twists and turns throughout Black Ice were extraordinary and besides the clear writing it was the only thing that kept me going. Just like Britt was all over the map to get off the mountain, I was all over the "whodunit" map! I really enjoyed that aspect of the book. And while I couldn't relate to any of the characters, I found each one to be unique and bring something to the book. The main character Britt was strong and though she admitted she loved to have a guy take care of her, she pulled through with independence and strength near the end when she needed it most. 
As I've mentioned, I didn't love Black Ice but I didn't hate it either. It was a book where I just could not make up my mind about. Will I tell everyone it's a book they have to read? Will I re-read it again and again in the years to come? No, probably not. But it's unforgettable and and well written and it will be someone elses favourite I'm sure. 

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird