Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Book Review: The War Against The Assholes by Sam Munson

Publish Date: June 16, 2015
Publisher: Saga Press
ISBN: 9781481436878
Pages: 261
Series: None
Source: ARC from publisher for honest review

From Goodreads:

Contemporary fantasy meets true crime when schools of ancient sorcery go up against the art of the long con in this stunningly entertaining debut fantasy novel.
Mike Wood is satisfied just being a guy with broad shoulders at a decidedly unprestigious Catholic school in Manhattan. But on the dirty streets of New York City he’s an everyman with a moral code who is unafraid of violence. And when Mike is unwittingly recruited into a secret cell of magicians by a fellow student, Mike’s role as a steadfast soldier begins. These magicians don’t use ritualized rote to work their magic, they use willpower in their clandestine war with the establishment: The Assholes.


My Review:

Okay, so let me start this by saying I could not finish this book. And I usually finish books. Once I start, I stick through it to make a fair judgement call on the whole book. I just could not make it to the end of The War Against The Assholes.
The premise was different but fun. Fantasy and true crime? Not usually my genre of choice, but let's be honest, the title is enough to want to dive right into this one. Who wouldn't want to wage a war against the assholes out there? Am I right? So I figure the book would be fun, and witty and something new and different. But what I got was confusing, strange and yes, something new and different but not the new and different I wanted. 
So unfortunately, I'm the asshole here by saying this book was not worth my time. I could have used the time to finish rereading the Twilight series (I'm on Eclipse!). Maybe this book will be for someone else, but they won't be hearing about it from me.

But let's take the time to acknowledge the publisher of The War Against The Assholes. SAGA Press, a new and exciting imprint of Simon & Schuster. Good things look like they'll come out of there, I'm looking forward to seeing what they have to offer in the near future! Take a look here.

Happy Reading! 

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird